Did you know that over half of the children in Spokane County have cavities by the third grade? That is one of the many reasons The Mighty Mouth campaign is hosting Teeth Week in Spokane! Featuring activities and events during the week of October 17-25, Teeth Week seeks to raise awareness about the importance of oral health as it relates to one’s overall health.
Too many people don’t realize cavities and gum disease are preventable. Or that disease and infections in the mouth are linked to other serious health problems including diabetes, heart disease and stroke. The Mighty Mouth campaign is a statewide public awareness effort to change the way people in Washington think about and value oral health. The Mighty Mouth campaign provides information about how to prevent oral disease and motivates people to take action to stay healthy.
The campaign message is simple: You’re Healthier with a Healthy Mouth. The Washington Dental Service Foundation is a sponsor of Teeth Week in Spokane.
Events and Activities:
There are opportunities for coverage throughout Teeth Week.
- The SmileMobile, (a mobile dental van operated by Washington Dental Service Foundation) will provide care for adults (with pre-scheduled appointments) at The Salvation Army (Oct. 18–19)
- Oral health “storytimes” at Spokane city and county libraries
- Activities at Mobius Kids with tips to help keep children cavity-free
- Educational outreach in schools through the Spokane District Dental Society
- Presentations at events for seniors highlighting the importance of oral health
- Outreach to media and community organizations about the importance of oral health
- A social media campaign - visit The Mighty Mouth Facebook page and share the posts
Spokane County Fast Oral Health Facts:
- Over 30 percent of adults have lost one or more teeth due to decay; 5 percent have lost all their teeth.
- Younger adults (18-34 years) and older adults (55+) are less likely to have insurance, so prevention is important.
- Good oral health helps people live better, longer. Oral disease is preventable. Prevention saves money and improves health.
About Washington Dental Service Foundation
Washington Dental Service Foundation is a non-profit funded by Delta Dental of Washington, the leading dental benefits company in Washington. The Foundation works with partners to develop and execute innovative programs and public policies that produce permanent changes in the healthcare arena and improve the public’s long-term oral health. The Foundation focuses on children and seniors, two groups especially vulnerable to oral disease.
About The Mighty Mouth Campaign
The Mighty Mouth is a statewide public awareness campaign to change the way people in Washington think about and value oral health. This is a campaign to deliver an important message: oral health matters because you’re more fit if your mouth is fit.